The Station Master’s House is situated at Loth, midway between Brora and Helmsdale, and set in magnificent scenery between the Sutherland hills and the East Coast. This old stone cottage, with associated railway offices and waiting room, was built for The Duke of Sutherland’s Railway in 1872.
The Station Master’s House stands beside the old Highland Railway, (now the mainline to Wick), and although the trains still pass (eight trains go past every day except Sunday, when there are only two) the station closed to passengers in October 1963. Many original features remain, including the timber waiting room and ticket office, built on in the 1930s. The whole site, which includes a former siding (now filled in) and loading bank together with access road extends to approx. 1.902 acres - 0.796 hectares.
The cottage is less than ten minutes walk from the beach, with sand and rock pools. The beach stretches from Helmsdale to Brora. There are all sorts of birds, flowers and wildlife, including seals and otters.
From the A9 Northbound at the village of Loth turn right at the signpost CRACKAIG and proceed past the farm buildings, downhill towards the sea. Just short of the railway bridge turn right through the gate along the track which leads to the station.
ALL ENQUIRIES TO :
Telephone 01408 622098
Mobile 07757 674896
All photos can be clicked to enlarge